The official llllloooooo blog

Friday, September 12, 2008

Ogg works on Sansa Clip but not below q6

After wasting hours trying to figure out why my Sansa Clip wouldn't read ogg comments/tag properly (see previous post) I now find that it doesn't play oggs with a quality setting less than 6!

See discussion at http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=9380

I encoded one of my favorite tunes using quality 3 setting (~112kbps). It plays absolutely crystal clear on my PC but it pops and clicks on the Sansa Clip. Ugh.

I'm not one of these audio nuts with $1000 headphones. I honestly can't tell the difference between CD quality and properly encoded 64k.

So stuff open source and freedom. I'm now using the clearly superior Microsoft WMA format. It's awesome!!

To me, the lowest setting on WMA variable sounds fine. Granted it doesn't sound precisely the same as the original CD but if you listen to it in isolation you wouldn't know anything is wrong with it, and this way I can fit about 80 CDs on my 2G Clip.

Update : After sitting with my eyes shut and playing a track over and over I've finally come to the conclusion that the second lowest setting (50 - 95kbps) is indistinguishable from the best setting in WMA variable bit rate so I'll encode everything that way.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking about a new player I could take to the gym. Looked through a good number of them but took a pick Sansa Clip. It's light and easily clips to the clothes, sounds good and is quickly navigated.

llllloooooo said...

Yep, the old Clip is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

Seeing these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is ever-present in this day and age, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4i SDHC[/url] DS SysBro)

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how modern society has evolved to become so integrated with technology. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4[/url] DS NetPost)